As we all know that “Pillayar / Ganesha” is embodiment of wisdom and intelligence and the god for removal of all the obstacles, I will start with the recipe of “Poorna Kozhakattai” a favorite dish for lord Ganesha.
Thengai Poornam Kozhukkattai
Cooking Vessels / Things Needed
- Two pans (one for Poornam, One for dough)
- Two Cups for mixing water, Oil/ghee
- Idly Plate / Pressure Cooker
- Two to three plates for Making Poornam balls & Kozhukattai
Serve for : 3 Members
- Jaggery (1 Cup Jaggery)
- Grated Cocunt (1 cup)
- Cardamom Powder (2 tsp or as per taste)
For Outer cover
- Rice (1 Cup)
- Water (1.5 Cup or as needed)
- Oil 1 Tsp
- Salt (Pinch of salt)
Poornam Creation Method
- Add jaggery to a cup of water
- Remove the dust particles from the dissolved jaggery water.
- Keep the Jaggery water in flame (In a pan)
- when the Jaggery juice becomes thick add the grated coconut & cardamom powder.
- Stir well to make sure that Poornam doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Allow it to cool off
- Prepare small balls from the poornam.
Outer cover Preparation Method
- Soak the rice in water for half an hour.
- Drain the water and make sure that rice is in soaked state.
- Add 1 Cup of water to the soaked rice.
- Grind it smoothly.
- Pour 1 Cup of water in the pan and boil it in the flame.
- Add the flour to the boiling water.
- Stir it continuously and have to make sure that the flour doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Once you get a feel that dough is not sticky, remove the dough and allow it to cool for some time
Kozhukkatai Preparation Method
- Make small balls of the dough by keeping your hands greasy with the help of gingelly Oil.
- Make the ball as a Small cup and place the poornam and close it (Any shape you like).
- Repeat the Same process to create more Kozhukattai till you run out of poornam or the dough.
- Pressure cook the “Poorna Vasthu” for 8-10 Minutes.
- Do a Naivedyam to “Pillayar” and serve hot….
- If you are left with extra dough you can make nice Ammini Kozhukkattai (Will see later on how to do it)
- If you are left with extra Poornam Just eat as it is.